Outfit: Romantic Victorian-esque in Ruffles

"For my own part, if a book is well written, I always find it too short." 
-Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey (1817) 



Unfortunately, I don't read as much as I used to. I was a hungry little one then. Page after page, book after book. I would devour them all and as soon as I would finish one, my hands were already reaching for the next. My appetite for reading was insatiable. These days I don't quite have as much time to lose myself in a novel like that. I do try dedicate at least 30 minutes a day to get some reading done. Anyway, this outfit is my interpretation of a modern day Victorian era fashion. I'd been reading a lot of Jane Austen and Charlotte Bronte lately and this is what I imagined the women to be wearing even though I know I'm horribly wrong. I'm currently in the middle of Villette, which makes for a great read on dark, stormy nights (I like to pretend it storms here because it hardly ever does). It's moody and thought-driven, touching on aspects of depression and psyche. It was quite refreshing, however. I was getting a little bored of Jane Austen.

I got this ruffled blouse from H&M many years ago. While I loved the ruffled neckline and bodice, I didn't wear it much because I really dislike the feel of satin polyester against my skin - especially in warm weather. Yuck. I was just about to donate it too when I noticed that ruffled blouses were coming back. Thought I'd give it another chance but swore to myself I'd only allow myself to wear it in cold weather. And what do you know, it wasn't so bad. I feel like my style really shows itself in fall/winter. It's too darn hot in the summer to want to dress nice. Spring is pretty much the same. So, you can be sure I'm going all out until winter ends!

P.S. It's the first day of December!

***

What I wore:
Blouse: H&M
Skirt: Lucca Couture via UO
Boots: vintage from Etsy
Photos: me

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Back
to top