TBT: Musings in Japan: Hiroshima

I will never forget Hiroshima. From the Yokohama station, we rode the Shinkansen, dubbed the "bullet train," toward our destination. I believe it is the fastest train you can take in Japan, and indeed it lived up to its name. I was ecstatic to be riding it. I think a lot of us were. I had heard so much about it and to actually be in it was exhilarating. Honestly, I don't remember how long the ride was.

The first stop on our itinerary was to visit the Hiroshima Memorial Peace Museum. I cannot bring myself to include the pictures that were taken inside the museum, as if doing so would desecrate the memories of the victims. I entered with a certain naivety about the bombing of Hiroshima, and I left in a whirlwind of emotions. How could something like this happen? To this day, I am still haunted by what I heard and saw. I think everyone should see this museum at least once in their lives. You do not leave untouched.

We slowly made out way to the Memorial Peace Park, a collection of monuments in honor of the peace movement thereafter. The story behind all these paper cranes begins with a girl named Sadako Sasaki, who was afflicted with radiation. She folded 1000 paper cranes in the hope that she would be cured of it. People from all over made and sent paper cranes that now filled those glass containers. I remember feeling rather hopeful and thinking how bright and colorful they were as I gazed upon them.


 Okonomiyaki, how delicious you were. I had never eaten one before until I came to Japan. It was a delight watching the chef cook it right in front of me. You order what you want and it usually consists of eggs, noodles, some sort of meat and veggies. It's like a pancake - a huge, savory pancake. It was hot and delicious with a tangy sauce and a huge mound of green onions. I can smell it already and it's making me hungry! I never did find one back in the States that was as authentic and tasty. I truly miss it.


Until next time...!

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Back
to top